1. Today in class Mrs. Smith put up on the board all the names of emails from parents that did not go through. Those names were;
We then finished annotating The Cask of Amontillado on the computer. If you don’t have a copy of The Cask of Amontillado or you want to see some examples of annotating you can go here. By the end of the reading you should have a lot of annotations that really show your thinking. A way to check to make sure you have enough annotations is to scroll through the whole story. If there are any places that you don’t have any writing for a while you need to add your thinking.
- After we finished annotating we started watching the movie “Bully”. It is a documentary about different stories of bullying. We got a little more than a third of the way through the movie. I would talk to Mrs. Smith about when To what extent do jealousy and betrayal rule our choices/ lives or affect our relationships?you could watch the first third. While we were watching we had to take notes on a google doc. There were four main points we had to think about while annotating.
- During the movie we had to write down reactions that we had to the movie and thoughts/predictions we had but we had to support it with evidence.
- She also wanted us to write about “hot spots” or reaction points. These were points in the movie where we disagreed or agreed with the movie, we had to support it with facts.
- While we were watching Mrs. Smith wanted us to think about and annotate about the big question we have been talking about in class, “To what extent do jealousy and betrayal rule our choices/ lives or affect our relationships?”
- The last thing we were supposed to do when annotating was write about connections. These include comparing the movie to other media like books or other movies (text to text), comparing the movie to yourself and the experiences you have had (Text to self), and comparing the movie to other things that have happened in history or are happening right now (text to world).
3. The homework for today was;
- making sure you have your conference set up with Mrs. Smith and you know when it is. Due tomorrow.
- Finish doing the SAT exercises. These include knowing the first fifteen words, their definitions, and parts of speech, and doing the exercise on page 15-23. (remember to write the answers to these exercises on a separate sheet of paper)
- Your last piece of homework is to make sure you took all the notes you could for the Bully movie.