At the start of class today we got new seats and then Mrs. Smith started to talk about a new project we are going to be doing.
We will all be creating a google sight about accomplishments we are proud of and assignments that are very well done. It will be like submitting a digital folder and showcasing your best work to colleges. This will eventually set you apart from other seniors when you are applying to college. The website can include;
- Images of things you have done
- From history you can embed papers you have written or show your grades
- In math you can chart your learning growth, screenshot tests, show your grades
- You can show what sports or activities you are in, even hobbies of yours
- You can also show a link to a Warrior Strong page so you can share what you went through on 12.13.13
These are just suggestions. You can get very creative. Also, make sure to make your website organized and name the website your first name, last initial and then 2017. (ex. LucyL2017)
We also talked about the new book we will be reading 1984 by George Orwell. The other books we will be reading the semester are;
- Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
- A Whole New Mind - Daniel Pink
- Taming of the Shrew - William Shakespeare
Mrs. Smith gave us a back story about the writing of 1984 -
Orwell writes about a form of communist where everyone gets the same thing and suffers except the leader gets everything he wants. When he wrote 1984 we were coming out for WWll (look at Mrs. Smith’s powerpoint, slide “government and Economic Spectrum) while he was writing he was not scared about Hitler, but he was scared for America and Britain because we were telling other countries what to do. he was afraid we could become a little Hitler. He wrote the book as a warning. Beware of who you give up trust to beware of who you elect into power. The book is going to talk about social change and the power of government. This book raises the questions;
- How much do we trust our government today?
- How much power do you have in the government?
- What do you want your government to do
After reading 1984 and Little Brother you are going to write a wikified paper. There is no limit. Mrs. Smith won’t grade it, but it will be posted to the internet you can use videos, pictures, etc. On the the website answer these three questions;
- What we learned
- What we didn’t learn
- Where we are we going
- homework - create the structure for your website by Wednesday at sites.google.com and get the book 1984 and read pages 1-69
- check out Mrs. Smith’s new and improved website page on Arapahoe website
- For any clarifying details go to Mrs. Smith’s calender