Today in class we had our debate over the Kony2012 video. Ms. Smith gave out our new books today A Long Way Gone. Our homework was to read and annotate chapters 1-2 in the book. We need to come up with 3 questions over chapters 1-5 of higher level thinking questions/connections to Othello. Don’t forget exercises for lesson 7 are due and our quiz is tomorrow. We signed up for discussers and presenters today for the fishbowl so make sure that you get your name on the list. During our debate our class brought up some great points. These are just a few that were mentioned.
Pathos: The pathos group had a great argument that when you see the kids with mutilated face it “tugs on your heartstrings”.
Logos: The logos group made fantastic points when they talked about numbers making things seem more real.
Ethos: The ethos group did an amazing job during the presentation, mentioning that you know the celebrities names and they spread the issue.
The debate went great and everyone look so professional.
Don’t forget to study for tomorrow’s quiz!!!!!!!!
Here are our words for the week:
Word Part of Speech Definition Synonym
1. adroit adj. skillful;clever dexterous
2. macroscopic adj. visible to the naked eye
3. fatuous adj. foolish; insane silly
4. bovine adj. pertaining to cows or cattle
5. ferret v. to search or drive out
6. affectation n. a phony attitude; pose insincerity;sham
7. knell n. a sound made by a bell,
slowly for a death or funeral
8. dichotomy n. a division into two parts
9. callow adj. young and inexperienced immature
10. laconic adj. using few words; short; concise pithy; taciturn
11. quiddity n an essential quality essence
12. patent adj. evident or obvious indisputable; apparent
13. peccadillo n. a minor offense; a misdeed
14. sagacious adj. wise; having a keen perception
and sound judgement shrewd; intelligent
15. rationalize v. to make an excuse for justify